Jennifer Sy, PhD
Dr. Jennifer Sy’s clinical and research interests focus on optimization of exposure therapy for anxiety disorders, particularly in OCD, panic disorder, and social anxiety. Since many individuals present with co-occurring anxiety and OC-spectrum disorders, she is particularly interested in helping clients identify common behaviors/thought processes that occur across diagnoses so they can apply what they learn in treatment to other areas of their lives.
Expertise/Clinical and Research Interests:
Obsessive Compulsive Disorder
Postpartum Anxiety (Moms and Dads)
Diversity Considerations in Mental Health
Bergen 4-Day Treatment for OCD
Education and Fellowships:
- Ph.D. – Clinical Psychology, University of Wyoming, 2013
- M.S. – Clinical Psychology, University of Wyoming, 2009
- B.A. -Cognitive Science, Dartmouth College, 2004
Pre-doctoral Intern, Minneapolis Veterans Affairs Health Care System, 2012-2013
Postdoctoral Fellow, McLean OCD Institute // Houston, Houston, TX, 2013-2014
Licensure and Certifications:
Licensed Psychologist, Texas State Board of Examiners of Psychologists, 2014; License number: 36833
IOCDF Behavior Therapy Institute, April 2014
- Panayiotou, G., Leonidou, C., Constantinou, E., Hart, J., Rinehart, K. L., Sy, J. T., & Björgvinsson, T. (2015). Do alexithymic individuals avoid their feelings? Experiential avoidance mediates the association between alexithymia, psychosomatic, and depressive symptoms in a community and a clinical sample. Comprehensive psychiatry, 56, 206-216.
- Deacon, B. J., Farrell, N. R., Kemp, J. J., Dixon, L. J., Sy, J. T., Zhang, A. R., & McGrath, P. B. (2013). Assessing therapist reservations about exposure therapy for anxiety disorders: The Therapist Beliefs about Exposure Scale. Journal of Anxiety Disorders, 27, 772-780.
- Possis, E. A., Kemp, J. J., Lickel, J. L., Sy, J. T., Dixon, L. J., & Deacon, B. J. (2013). A comparison of cognitive and behavioral approaches for reducing cost bias in social anxiety. Journal of Cognitive Psychotherapy, 27, 210-220.
- Deacon, B. J., Kemp, J., Dixon, L. J., Sy. J. T., Farrell, N. R., & Zhang, A. (2013). Maximizing the efficacy of interoceptive exposure by optimizing inhibitory learning: A randomized controlled trial. Behaviour Research and Therapy, 51, 588-596.
- Dixon, L. J., Sy, J. T., Kemp, J., & Deacon, B. J. (2013). Does anxiety sensitivity cause panic symptoms? An experimental investigation. Journal of Experimental Psychopathology, 4, 208-223.
- Sy, J.T., Dixon, L.J., Lickel, J.J., Nelson, E.A., & Deacon, B.J. (2011). Failure to replicate the deleterious effects of safety behaviors in exposure therapy. Behaviour Research and Therapy, 49, 305-314.
- Barsky, A.J., Ahern, D.K., Orav, E.J., Nestoriuc, Y., Liang, M.H., Berman, I.T., Kingsbury, J.R., Sy, J.T., & Wilk, K.G. (2010). A randomized trial of three psychosocial treatments for the symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis. Seminars in Arthritis and Rheumatism, 40, 222-232.